Hey everyone! I haven’t blogged in absolutely ages, but here I am again, I’m going to do these more often. To get back into writing blogs I thought I’d start off with the blind girl beauty tag. I really like this one, a few of my favourite blind bloggers have done it yesterdayswishes mollyburke and myblurredworld if you haven’t watched their videos/read their blogs I suggest you do…they’re amazing and so much better than mine haha! So I thought I’d do this blind girl beauty tag…enjoy!
1. What is the hardest makeup product to apply as a person who is blind or visually impaired?
Personally I think it is either mascara or liquid eye liner, others might think differently but that is just my personal opinion.
2. What is your #1 tip for shopping with vision loss?
Always take someone with you, make sure it is someone that knows you well or knows your style though. Remember, shopping is something you do to socialise and it is even better to go with someone.
3. What is one beauty item you stay away from due to vision loss?
Probably liquid eye liner, I find it hard to put on. That’s probably because of my vision loss but that’s just my personal view and difficulty
4. What tips would you give to a young girl struggling with vision loss who wants to get into makeup?
Practice, practice and practice more…also, watch tutorials on youtube. That’s what I did and it honestly helps. Some people that I’d recommend are yesterdayswishes mollyburke and myblurredworld All of these write blogs and do Youtube videos and they are honestly amazing! I wouldn’t just recommend them for just makeup and fashion, they all do videos on life with sight loss and so much more. I think fully sighted people can learn a lot from these girls and get a few tips and tricks as well.
5. How did you learn how to apply makeup as someone who is blind or visually impaired?
I learnt through the tutorials that I’ve mentioned above and practicing as much as I can and always asking someone, usually my mum if it looked okay, if I needed to apply more or put less on etc.
6. What is one thing you think every girl should be able to do without looking?
It sounds silly but moisturising or applying a BB cream, those are creams so they’re pretty easy.
7. Do you think not being able to see yourself affects your self-confidence?
Not really, yes I am blind and far from confident but I don’t think that is due to my sight loss, I guess that’s just the person I am. I have become more confident over the last year or so, I now have a supportive group of friends at university that accept my disability so that definitely plays an important part in my confidence. I think that even if I had full sight, I would still be self-conscious.
8. Name one thing you need help with when it comes to makeup or fashion.
Knowing if an item of clothing or a shade/colour of makeup suits me. Also, if something is a silky material for example, knowing if it is see-through or not…
9. What is a blind girl beauty or fashion essential?
Personally I haven’t found one yet, but I will update you all if I do.
10. What is the best part about applying makeup as a person with vision loss?
I’d say putting on moisturiser – your skin feels so smooth and soft and skincare is essential!
11. Have you ever experienced any major fashion or makeup disasters in the past that are due to having vision loss?
12. Do you ever have people commenting that you ‘don’t look blind/visually impaired.’?
13. Do you use any pieces of assistive technology or apps to help you when putting outfits together or doing your makeup?
I sometimes use Tap Tap See to find out what colour something is or what a bottle or a label says.
I tag the lovely blindnessispower to do this post!
Hope you’ve enjoyed this post 🙂